The 6th Annual Christmas on the Wharf runs from Dec. 2 through Dec. 18 at Old Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, CA. This is the quintessential California Christmas event you've been waiting for all year! Happening every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during the first three weekends in December, this free event dazzles attendees with beautiful decorations, choir performances, youth dancers, and singers. The event's highlight is a visit from Santa Claus at his festive, cozy Santa House on Old Fisherman's Wharf.
The 6th Annual Christmas on the Wharf in Monterey isn't just about getting into good spirits this holiday season. It's also about doing good things for others. A Salvation Army Toy Drop station will be set up at Santa's house!
It's still possible to enjoy the splendor of Old Fisherman's Wharf all decked out for the holidays even if you can't make the event during one of the weekends spanning from Dec. 2 through Dec. 18. The festive holiday lights and decorations by the water will be up until Jan. 2 to ensure that everyone can get a taste of the merriment. Of course, it's even better if you can attend when one of the many live performances lined up for the first part of December is taking place! Here's when to show up to be part of the action:
- Fridays: 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Saturdays: 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Sundays: 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Dec. 3 is a big day to attend if you'd like to enjoy the official Holiday Safety Afternoon on the Wharf. Running from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, this event will feature representatives from the Monterey Police Department offering holiday safety information and giveaways. Attendees will also enjoy a fire engine, Monterey Fire Boat demonstrations in the Monterey Harbor, and visits from the Monterey Fire Department representatives. Here's a look at some other highlights:
- The Community will come together for "Community Caroling on the Wharf" from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on the first three Sundays in December. The singing kicks off the near the Christmas tree.
- The Brighten the Harbor Lighted Boat Parade on Dec. 4 from 5:15 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. shows beautiful lights passing by Old Fisherman's Wharf.
- Performances by The Dance Center's Musical Performance Troupe, Carmel Presbyterian Church Choir, Watsonville Community Band Ensemble, Peninsula Harmony Company, Monterey Peninsula Gospel Community Choir, and more will take place throughout the event!
- Ice Skating by the Bay nearby on Custom House Plaza runs through Jan. 1.
- Wharf merchants will host special shopping events with hot cocoa, coffee drinks, hot apple cider, and more!
Parking is available in the Waterfront Lot adjacent to Old Fisherman's Wharf. Attendees can also find parking at the nearby City of Monterey East and West Garages in Downtown Monterey at Del Monte/Franklin/Tyler. The Heritage Harbor Parking Lot off Pacific and Scott Street also provides parking. And, if you’re hungry while out and about on a beautiful December night in Monterey, here is the top place for the best seafood.